A well-prepared home-cooked meal should mean a cleaner, cost-effective, and most of all healthier meal. But this is not often the case.
This is because sometimes we prepare home meals in a manner that is detrimental to our nutritional needs.
Here are common practices that yield an unhealthy meal
1. Use of high sodium food additives such as bullion cubes and stock that contain monosodium glutamate (MSG)
2. Excessive use of saturated fats/oils such as coconut oil, palm oil, butter, etc.
3. Use of trans-fats such as stick margarine and hydrogenated oils
4. Excessive use of sugar
5. Sieving whole grains to produce starch
6. Cooking meals at home has many benefits. Therefore, it is necessary to keep it healthy and adventurous.
Research finds that people who eat home-cooked meals regularly tend to be happier and healthier and consume less sugar and processed foods, which can result in higher energy levels and better mental health.
Amazing benefits of home-cooked meals
● Nutritional content is within an individual’s control
● Food preparation methods are also within the control
● Hygiene and food safety can be easily controlled.
● Home-cooked meals help control the value and cost of expenditure on food
● It is a way to spend time together with family members.
● It helps family members, especially young children to build healthy eating habits.